bottoms


Bottoms.  That is what these kitchen chair cushions are intended for.  We all must have a purpose in life and that, frankly, is the purpose of these.  However, there is no rule that says bottom-hosting cushions should be boring.  So, throwing caution to the wind, I hatched a plan for playful cushions (over a year ago) which I finally brought to fruition this week.


For those of you who know me in person, you will know that I am not, outwardly, a whimsical/playful/artsy looking woman.  I don't waft in and out of spaces in interesting skirts or have hair in multiple hues of orange.  I don't have funky, colourful glasses frames or wear a slash of bright red lipstick as my trademark.  I don't even have one funky piece of jewellery that would hint at the True Me beneath my otherwise straightforward exterior.  I wear jeans most of the time and black, grey or dark blue a fair bit.  Not exclusively, but you get the picture.

However, somewhere in there is a woman who wants to wear red skirts with apple green shoes and rich purple cat's eye glasses frames.  While I don't let her out when I'm shopping for clothes, I do let her out in fabric stores and thrift stores around the world.  On those days, she runs amok through my imagination.


When I discovered these fabrics, I was pregnant and living in Manitoba at the beginning of spring (which is cold, muddy, icy and just generally yuck).  I was thinking about the kind of house I wanted to bring this little person into and I was pretty clear that I wanted them to discover joyful, whimsical, playful bits throughout it.  I'm not a huge fan of children-themed things (something, perhaps, we can discuss at a later date) but I love play and, given time and opportunity, creating spaces that charm and delight.  Constant moving has hampered that urge in me of late, but I do believe these cushions will help me redress this.  I feel a shift from functional to fanciful happening and it feels good.  

Now, time to change the kitchen walls from Band-Aid Beige to something a little more pleasing to the eye.

PS: This, for those trying to keep up, is my contribution to Pillow Challenge Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment